- How to Clear with CRB?
- 1. How to get a CRB Certificate if you haven’t been listed?
- 2. How to get a CRB Certificate if you have been listed?
- 3. How to Clear with CRB if you have been wrongfully listed?
- 4. How long does it take to be removed from the CRB blacklist?
- 5. How much do I pay to get cleared with a CRB in Kenya?
- 6. How to know who has listed you on CRB?
- 7. CRB Kenya contacts.
- Summary: How to Clear with CRB.
How to Clear with CRB: Are you wondering how you can clear with CRB? Listing with CRB means that there is a current or historical debt that you have not cleared or someone whom you guaranteed a loan has defaulted. CRB Listing doesn’t necessarily mean that you are a loan defaulter, a debt could actually arise out of errors from the financial institutions.
How to Clear with CRB?
Clearing with CRB means getting a clearance certificate. A clearance certificate is given out upon a request by a financial institution, job applicant, etc.
See also: Tax Compliance Certificate
1. How to get a CRB Certificate if you haven’t been listed?
For anyone who hasn’t been listed by CRB, it is very easy to get a clearance certificate. Follow the below easy steps.
Note: You can apply online from any of these Authorized CRB in Kenya: Credit Reference Bureau Africa Limited, Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited & Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited.
CRB Certificate from Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited
- Using your Safaricom line Dial *433#.
- Choose CRB Certificate.
- Enter your ID Number and confirm.
- If you have been referred by an agent enter the agent number, if not just enter 0 to continue.
- Confirm your details to complete the registration process.
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number.
- You will receive an SMS with Crystobol PIN.
- Visit the Metropol website and enter the PIN sent to you.
- Choose Clearance Certificate.
- Pay Ksh 2,200 for the certificate through Paybill number 220388.
- Download your clearance certificate.
CRB Certificate from Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited.
- Visit the https://ke.creditinfo.com.
- Choose the certificate you want to apply for (Personal or Company).
- Fill in the details required, attach you ID and submit.
- If you are not listed a copy of the CRB certificate will be emailed to you.
CRB Certificate from Credit Reference Bureau Africa Limited (Trading as TransUnion)
- SMS your full names to 21272 or 21CRB or Download the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges NB: SMS Charges cost Ksh 19.
- Your National ID IS your account number.
- Through your Mpesa or Airtel money, you will pay Kshs 2,200
- Once paid forward the payment transaction details to email@example.com
- A clearance certificate will be emailed to you.
2. How to get a CRB Certificate if you have been listed?
For anyone who has been listed with CRB, you will get a credit report and you will be given a credit status certificate. If you are in this position, follow the following steps to get your certificate
- Contact any of the 3 authorized bureaus that has listed you
- Get the details of the institution that has listed you
- Make preparations with your lender to clear the debt. Most lenders act in good faith and they will agree to delist you if you agree to pay the sum agreed.
- After you have paid, the financial institution that forwarded your name to CRB will communicate to them to have your details removed from the list of defaulters.
- Once you are sure that your name has been removed apply for a CRB certificate using any of the above procedure
- You will be charged Sh2200 processing fee, which you can pay via mobile payment platforms Mpesa or Airtel money
3. How to Clear with CRB if you have been wrongfully listed?
If you have been wrongfully listed by CRB you have two options.
Contact the company that has listed you and they will in return lodge a complaint with the institution that wrongfully forwarded your name. Once the complaint is dealt with your name will be removed from list. However, if the financial institution doesn’t respond within 14 days, the bureau will delete the disputed information from its report and an updated report will be sent to your email address as provided during the reporting of the error.
You can go to the bank and request them to correct the erroneous details, further ask them to send the updated report to the bureau.
4. How long does it take to be removed from the CRB blacklist?
Once you have paid your balance to your lender it may take 2-3 days to have you name removed. The bureau will not remove your name unless it gets an updated report from your lender. In case of any delays it is good to contact your lender to send the report.
5. How much do I pay to get cleared with a CRB in Kenya?
If you aren’t listed, you will not pay for any charges. However, if you are listed you will pay Kshs. 2200 a processing fee to clear your name from the CRB? The Kshs.2200 is the processing fee for the Clearance Certificate and not a penalty or fine to clear your name.
6. How to know who has listed you on CRB?
For Metropol CRB.
Dial *433# and follow the procedures outlined or visit their website, create an account, then log in to check your status. You could also download Metropol Crystobol app.
For Credit Reference Bureau Africa Limited and Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited visit their website for detailed information.
7. CRB Kenya contacts.
Credit Reference Bureau Africa Limited Contacts details (Trading as TransUnion).
Postal Address: P.O. Box 46406 – 00100, Nairobi.
Telephone: +254 – 020 – 3751799/3751360/2/4/5.
Fax: +254 – 020 – 3751344.
Physical Address: CRB Centre, Prosperity House, 2nd Floor, Westlands Road, Nairobi.
Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited Contacts details.
Postal Address: P.O. Box 35331 – 00200, Nairobi.
Telephone: +254 – 020 – 2713575.
Physical Address: 1st Floor, Shelter Afrique Centre, Upper Hill, Nairobi.
Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited Contacts details.
Postal Address: P.O. Box 38941 – 00623, Nairobi.
Telephone: +254 – 020 – 3757272.
Mobile: +254 735 880880 / +254 718 842833.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Physical Address: Park Suites, Suite 12, 2nd Floor, Parklands Road, Nairobi.
Summary: How to Clear with CRB.
- Contact the bureau that has listed you.
- Get the details of the institution that has listed you.
- Agree on how to pay the defaulted amount.
- Your financial institution will contact the listing CRB to have your details removed.
- Confirm if your name has been removed.
- Once your name is cleared, make an online application for a CRB certificate.
- Pay Sh2200 processing fee.
- Download the certificate.
Betty is a qualified teacher with a Bachelor of Education (Arts). In addition, she is a registered Certified Public Accountant. She has been teaching and offering part-time accounting services for the last 10 years. She is passionate about education, accounting, writing, and traveling.