- What is the Teachers Service Commission?
- What are the roles of Teachers Service Commission?
- How many teachers are registered with Teachers Service Commission?
- How to get TSC number
- Teacher Registration in Kenya
- Requirements to be registered as an Early Childhood Education teacher
- Requirements to be registered as a P1 teacher
- Diploma Teacher registration for someone with visual and hearing impairment
- Requirements to be registered as a technical teacher
- Requirements to be registered as a graduate teacher
- Teachers Service Commission contacts
What is the Teachers Service Commission?
Teachers Service Commission website www.teachersonline.go.ke has made it easier for teachers to access more services without vising the headquarters at upper hill. Services from Teachers Service Commission website include teacher registration, Teacher Performance Appraisal and Development (TPAD), Declaration of Income, Assets and Liabilities, access to online pay slips, job adverts etc.
TSC is commission mandated with the management of all the teachers in Kenya. Teacher’s service commission (TSC) was founded in July 1967 through an Act of Parliament. The commission was formed to enable teachers to be under one employer; this would eventually create uniform terms and conditions of service for all the teachers.
What are the roles of Teachers Service Commission?
- Register qualified teachers
- Recruit & hire qualified teachers
- Allocate teachers hired by the Commission for service in any Kenyan public institution or school
- Promote and reallocate/transfer teachers
- Determine displinary action for teachers who are brought before the commission.
- Fire teachers
- Evaluate the standards of education
- Evaluate the standards of teacher education
- Note the demand and supply of teachers
- Give advice to the national government on issues relating to the teaching profession
How many teachers are registered with Teachers Service Commission?
Since its formation in 1967, Teachers Service Commission has over the years, greatly grown in size and functioning capacity. In 1967 the commission had only 37,000 registered teachers, currently there are over 700,000 registered TSC teachers across the country. Out of the number of teachers in registered by TSC in Kenya, more than 400,000 are employed in private schools, NGO and other institutions. Approximately 300, 000 teachers are employed by TSC in public schools.
How to get TSC number
How to get TSC number-To get a Teacher Service Commision number in Kenya is simple process that can now be done online. To help you get registered with TSC, we have looked at simple steps on how to get TSC as outlined below
1. Visit tsc.go.ke and on the main menu select online services
(Once you click on online services chose Teachers Online Services and another tab will be open. To make the process horter you can opt to visit the Teachers online portal by directly searching for: https://teachersonline.tsc.go.ke/
2. On the teachersonline site Click on: New Teacher Registration- Citizen
3. Once the above link opens you will see the necessary requirements
4. Once you go through the list and you ensure you have all the necessities, on the lower part of the screen, in the space provided enter your ID number and your surname and click next
5. Once you click next a screen will open where you will fill your ID number, Surname, Phone number, KRA pin number, choose the category (ECDE, Primary or Post primary), KCSE mean grade and the year in which you sat for your KCSE.
6. Once the above details have been filled click next and fill in all the required information
7. On the next screen fill the details of your educational certificates and click next where you will attach the same documents
8. Once you attached the ID copy and documents required you will enter the two teaching subjects then choose the mode of payment for registration fee and enter the payment slip for the same fee
9. Save the above detail and then finalize the process
Documents needed to get TSC number
For you to get a TSC number the documents you require include
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Applicable academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- Passport photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
- Payment of registration fee
How to pay TSC number registration fee
To get this number you will require a non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- which is normally deposited on: Registration Account – National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001 or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
How long does it take to get TSC number and where should I collect the certificate number
Once TSC receives the online application and documents, the Commission will vets the documents and the application. A response will be given within 30 (thirty days) and if the application is successful, the teacher is issued with a Registration Certificate. You can get your certificate through the postal address that you presented during your application. The applicant can also get their registration status or TSC Number online on TSC website.
Teacher Registration in Kenya
Teacher Registration in Kenya- To be employed as a teacher in Kenya you must be registered with Teacher Service Commission. To register as an Early Childhood Education teacher, P1 teacher, Technical teacher and Graduate teacher we have looked at the minimum requirements as indicated below
A person shall be qualified to be registered as a teacher if the person –
- Is of good moral character;
- Holds relevant academic and professional qualification from a training institute acknowledged in Kenya;
- Meets the current minimum requirements for registration set by the Teacher Service Commission (TSC)
Requirements to be registered as an Early Childhood Education teacher
a Certificate of Primary Education (CPE) with 15 points;
a Certificate of Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) with not less than 30 marks;
a certificate in Early Childhood Education from an institution recognized in Kenya;or any other recognized equivalent qualification.
Requirements to be registered as a P1 teacher
A person qualifies for registration as a P1 teacher if the person holds
a certificate in Primary Teacher Education;
Obtains a minimum C (plain) or its equivalent in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
Obtains a minimum D (plain) or its equivalent in Mathematics in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education and obtains a minimum of Grade C— (minus) or its equivalent in English in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education.
Diploma Teacher registration for someone with visual and hearing impairment
– holds a Diploma Certificate in Education;
Obtains a minimum Mean Grade C (plain)or its equivalent in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
Gets a minimum of C (plain) or its equivalent in the two teaching subjects;
Gets a minimum of C— (minus) or its equivalent in English in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
Obtains a minimum C— (minus) or its equivalent for science-based courses in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination; or
Obtains a minimum of (plain) or its equivalent for non-science-based courses in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination
Requirements to be registered as a technical teacher
holds a Diploma Certificate in Technical Education;
obtains a minimum Mean Grade C+ (plus) or its equivalent in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
obtains a minimum of Grade C (plain) or its equivalent in English in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination; and
obtains a minimum of Grade C (plain) or its equivalent in Mathematics in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination.
Requirements to be registered as a graduate teacher
A person qualifies to be registered as graduate teacher if the person –
Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Education;
Gets a minimum of C+ (Plus) or its equivalent in the two teaching subjects in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
Holds a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree; or holds a post graduate Diploma in Education and obtains a minimum of Grade C+ (Plus) or its the same in the two teaching subjects in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination;
TSC may review the minimum qualifications for registration as a teacher depending with the emerging trends in education curricula and other government policies in the teaching service.
Teachers Service Commission contacts
TSC headquarters – TSC headquarters upper hill Nairobi
Located at TSC House in Upper Hill Nairobi, Along Kilimanjaro Road
Address: P.O. Box Private Bag 00100 Nairobi
How to get your pay slip from Teachers Service Commission
In order to get your pay slip you need to register online for the pay slip service by selecting registration or activate account on online.
Betty is a qualified teacher with a Bachelor of Education (Arts). In addition, she is a registered Certified Public Accountant. She has been teaching and offering part-time accounting services for the last 10 years. She is passionate about education, accounting, writing, and traveling.