Machakos Technical Institute for the blind is a Government Technical Training Institution, located within the Machakos municipality next to National Cereal Produce Board deport off Konza road.
The Institution was established in 1958 with an aim of providing technical craft skills to those maimed by war. There were mainly the survivors of the Second World War and later those of liberation struggle. It was then sponsored by the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind and its local partner Kenya Society for the Blind.
In 1965, it was registered by Kenya Government as a Vocational Training Institute to serve the post youth and adults who were born blind and those who became blind during their lifetime. In its formative years, the Institution served only male trainees who were taught orientation and mobility, braille literacy and handicraft. In 1967 telephone operating course was established.
In 1987, the first female students were admitted and knitting & garment making courses introduced. In 1988 Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT) Government Trade Tests were introduced. In 1994 the first integrated Artisan level training was started. In 1997 the Institution was upgraded and renamed Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind becoming the only Technical Training Institution in East & Central Africa offering Kenya National Examination Council (K.N.E.C.) Craft courses to the visually impaired persons.
The Institution serves the needs of the visually impaired in East and Central Africa region.
Machakos Town off Konza Road
P.O Box 112-90100 Machakos
+254 733-844 614
Mon – Fir 8.00 – 17.00