Kenya Institute of Special Education is located in Kasarani off the Thika super highway.
Kenya Institute of Special Education (KISE) is a semi autonomous government agency of the Ministry of Education, Kenya. It was established through a Legal Notice No. 17 of 14th February 1986. The Institute is currently run by a council appointed by the Minister for Education. The Head of the Institute is the Director who is also the Secretary to the Council.
The Institute has been mandated to carry out the following core functions;
• conduct teacher training courses for teachers of children with special needs and disabilities
• conduct in-service courses for personnel working in all fields of special needs education
• prepare and conduct correspondence courses for personnel in the field of special needs education
• run an educational and psychological assessment centre for the training of teachers of children with special needs and disabilities
• run an orientation and mobility centre for training and demonstration purposes
• run a model training unit for the integration and inclusion of children with special needs and disabilities into the regular school schools
run a pre-school department where training and the stimulation of young children with special needs and disabilities can be carried out for the purpose of teacher training
• function as a resource centre for the production and dissemination of information to the general public on special needs and disabilities
run a documentation and resource centre on special needs and disabilities
• conduct research in special needs education
• maintain, repair, design, produce and assemble special materials and equipments for persons with special needs and disabilities
In implementation of her core functions, KISE upholds the following core values;
• Excellence and professionalism.
• Moral integrity
• Respect and courtesy
• Good stewardship
• Tolerance and empathy
To be a regional centre of excellence in special needs education and related services.
To provide high quality world class training in Special Needs education and produce educational materials and assistive devices for persons with disability through excellent services, professionalism, and integrity.
• In pursuit of knowledge, wisdom and life long education for persons with special needs and disabilities to lead self-reliant lives
Courses Offered at Kenya Institute of Special Education
Kenya Institute of Special Education Contacts
Kenya Institute Of Special Education Location
Kenya Institute of Special Education Fees Structure
Kenya Institute of Special Education Admission Requirements
Kenya Institute of Special Education Application Form
Address: Kasarani, Thika Superhighway Exit 8
Off Kasarani-Mwiki Rd
P. O. Box 48413 – 00100
Telephone: +254-20- 8007977