Roles of Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA): This article looks at when KRA was formed, who leads KRA, What are the roles/functions of KRA?
Roles of Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
1) Through the supervision of the Minister of finance, the Kenya Revenue Authority collects and receives be all revenue.
2) Administer and enforce the written laws set out to assess, collect and account for all revenues in accordance with those laws
3) To assess, collect and account for all revenues in accordance with those laws.
4) To advise the Government on all matters relating to the administration and collection of revenue.
5) Safeguard proper allocation of funds in the economy.
6) Protect the economy from unnecessary products by developing adequate tax procedures.
7) Re-allocate resources across the country.
8) Encourage tax compliance.
See also: KRA Offices and Contacts
When was KRA formed?
Kenya Revenue Authority was formed under the Act of Parliament to assess & collect revenue, administration, and enforcement of the laws relating to revenue. Kenya Revenue Authority was formed in 1995 and it started operation in July 1995.
KRA commissioners include:
- KRA Commissioner-General- Githii Mburu.
- Commissioner of Domestic Taxes.
- Commissioner of Customs and Border Control.
- Commissioner Legal Services and Board Coordination.
- Commissioner Strategy, Innovation, and Risk Management.
- Commissioner Regional Co-ordination.
- Commissioner Corporate Support Services Department.
- Commissioner Investigation and Enforcement.
Roles of Kenya Revenue Authority KRA Commissioner-General
a) He/she oversee the day-to-day operations of the Authority.
b) He/she manages funds, property, and affairs of the Authority.
c) He/she oversee the administration, organization, and control of the staff of the Authority.
KRA Board of Directors.
Kenya Revenue Authority is led by the Board of Directors. KRA board of directors comprises of following members.
(a) Chairman who is appointed by the President;
(c) Permanent Secretary from the Ministry of Finance or his representative.
(d) Attorney-General or his representative.
(e) Six other persons are chosen by the Minister of finance based on their knowledge and skill in taxation, accountancy, business administration, law, commerce, or public administration.
Roles of Kenya Revenue Authority KRA Board of Directors.
a) Approves and reviews KRA policies.
b) Monitors the performance of the KRA in carrying out its functions.
c) To discipline and control all members of staff of the KRA.
Elimu Centre is your one-stop-shop for all your education informational needs and much more.
Follow us at Elimu Centre