Open University of Tanzania Admission Requirements
DIPLOMA AND CERTIFICATE
Entry requirements for certificate and diploma courses/programmes
CERTIFICATE IN FOUNDATION COURSE (OFC)
Applicants who do not straightaway qualify under the degree programme requirements may register for Foundation Course by which one is awarded a certificate. This is a pre-university entry programme offered by the Institute of Continuing Education to suit requirements of various faculties.
- A certificate of Secondary Education Examination with 5 passes or 3 credits at O-level or its equivalent in approved subjects, plus a certificate of Secondary examination at A – Level or equivalent with 1 principal pass and 1 or more subsidiaries.OR
- A Certificate of Secondary Education Examination at O-Level or its equivalent with 5 passes or 3 credits in approved subjects plus a Certificate obtained after attending a professional course lasting at least nine months related to the degree programme the applicant is intending to pursue.OR
- In rare cases a certificate of Secondary Education Examination at O-Level or its equivalent with 5 passes or 3 credits in approved subjects plus exceptional experience may be considered on its own merit.OR
- An applicant with a Certificate of Secondary Education Examination at O-Level or its equivalent with 5 passes or 3 credits in approved subjects. He/she must also have either sat for, but failed ,‘A’ Level examination; or possess a recognized certificate obtained after attending a professional course of duration of at least six months related to the degree programme he/she is intending to pursue. And he/she must also sat for and pass the Open University of Tanzania OFC admission test (OFC 100) OR
- An applicant who has satisfied Examiners in Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Examination at an average of at least C Grade shall be eligible to be considered for admission into OFC programmes. The applicant’s RPL examination grade must have been obtained in RPL examination held in designated RPL Examination Centres approved by TCU and must have been obtained within the past three years from the date on which the examination was conducted.
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN DISTANCE EDUCATION
The minimum entry requirements for the course are as follows:
- A form IV Certificate or its equivalent with at least 4 passes plus a professional Certificate obtained from a national recognized Training Institution or
- A Diploma or Advanced Diploma or a first degree or Postgraduate Degree.
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN POULTRY HEALTH AND PRODUCTION
- Four passes at ‘O’ level or its equivalent, the passes must include biology/agriculture and chemistry.
DIPLOMA COURSE IN DISTANCE EDUCATION AND OPEN LEARNING
- A Class “B” and above, Certificate in Distance Education of The Open University of Tanzania (OUT) or an equivalent qualification or
- 4 passes at O-level or its equivalent plus at least 2 years of relevant professional experience or
- At least 1 principal Pass and 1 Subsidiary at A-Level plus one year of relevant professional experience or
- A two year Diploma or a Degree in any relevant field e.g. Education, Humanities, Social Sciences, etc.
CYP DIPLOMA IN YOUTH IN DEVELOPMENT WORK
- Four passes at O-level or its equivalent plus at least 2 years of experience in youth work or
- Professional Certificate in Commonwealth Youth Programme plus three credits at O-level and at least 2 years of experience of youth work or
- One Principal pass and one subsidiary at A-level plus one year experience in youth work or
- A two-year diploma or degree from any field related to youth work plus at least one year of experience in youth work.
In addition to the above, the applicant must be competent in both oral and written English. He or she will be required to sit for a test.
DIPLOMA COURSE IN POULTRY PRODUCTION AND HEALTH
Minimum Entrance Requirements
One or more passes at principal ‘A’ level in science subjects and such candidate must have passed biology and chemistry at ‘O’
Certificate in Animal health or Animal Production from a recognised institution.
ORDINARY DIPLOMA IN TEACHER PRIMARY EDUCATION (ODPTE)
Minimum Entry Requirements
Candidates holding the following qualifications will be eligible for admission into the O(DPTE) programme.
• 3 credits or 4 passes at O’Level secondary education and a grade A certificate in teaching with an average pass of B and above or its equivalent
• 3 credits or 4 passes at O’Level secondary education and Advanced level certificate with at least one principal pass Or three subsidiaries
• Grade A teaching certificate with a teaching experience of not less than 2 years and any other qualifications approved by OUT Senate.
Minimum Entry Qualifications
Entrance Requirements for First Degree Courses
Applicants should fulfill the following conditions:
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or East African Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) or equivalent, with passes in at least FIVE approved subjects, or credits in at least THREE approved subjects obtained prior to the sitting of the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A.C.S.E.E.) or equivalent and
- One of the following combinations of passes in Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A.C.S.E.E.) or equivalent;
- Two principal Level passes (in appropriate subjects) Or
- An appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate approved by the Senate of The Open University of Tanzania. The diploma must be of duration of at least two year
Additional Requirements for Different Degree Programmes:
- B.Sc. and B.Sc. (Education)
- Two Principal level passes in appropriate Science subjects.
- B.Sc (ICT) initially Open to students in and around Dar es Salaam and for some selected cities in Tanzania for intensive and regular face-to-face and lab sessions. It will be soon offered for learners in Mbeya, Arusha, and Kagera. To be completed in a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 5 years.
O-level with 5 passes, 3 of which are at credit level and a pass in Maths
One of the following:
Two principal level passes with one being advanced Maths
Any two science subjects at a principal level with Maths as a subsidiary
First degree holders from other disciplines with Maths as a subsidiary at A-Level.
iv. B.Sc (Environmental Studies)
Science stream – B.Sc. Environmental Studies (Science) Direct entrants
The candidate should have a principal level pass at “A” level in two of the following subjects; Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Physics, or Mathematics
Appropriate Diploma with passes at “O” level in two of the following subjects;
Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Geography.
Management stream – B.Sc. Environmental Studies (Management) Direct entrants
Candidates should have a principal level pass at “A” level in two of the following subjects; Geography, Economics, History. Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology.
Appropriate Diploma with passes at “O” level in two of the following subjects
Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry or Physics, Economics, Mathematics.
ii. BA (Gen), BA (Soc), BA (MC), BA (SW, BA (Journ), BA (Tour) and B.A. (Education), B (HRM)
Two Principal Level passes in appropriate Arts subjects.
iii. BBA (Acc), BBA (Mkt), BBA (HRM), BBA (Fin), BBA (IB), BBA (Education), BHRM
Two or more Principal level passes in Accountancy, Commerce, Economics or Mathematics;
Two or more Principal level passes in the following subject combinations: PCB,PCM, PGM, CBG or HGE
Science Diplomas, an appropriate advanced Diploma / Certificate with a “B+ average credit or higher grade.” Duration of the diploma should be at least 2 years while that of Advanced Diploma should be at least 3 years.
Any Two or more Principal Level Passes plus ‘O’ Level credit passes in History and English. A Pass on the subjects at O-level but a good principal at A level may be considered. Or an appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate in Law with Credit or Higher Grades.
For Diploma applicants, the minimum entry qualification to a relevant degree programme is at least Four O level passes (D’s and above).
- Ordinary Diploma (NTA Level 6) with at least GPA of 2.7; or
- Full Technician Certificate (FTC) with at least points average of 2.7 (where A=5, B=4,C=3 and D=2 points); or
- Diploma in Teacher Education with an average of ‘C’ grade; or
- Health related awards such as Clinical Medicine and others with average of ‘B’ grade; or
- Credit class diploma for classified diplomas and certificates in terms of ‘distinctions, OPTION III credit or pass’ or
- Lower Second Class diploma for classified non-NTA diplomas;
Candidates who have satisfied Examiners in the Mature Age Entry Examinations set by Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA), University of Dar Es Salaam (UDSM) or any other recognized university will be considered for admission. Written evidence of a satisfactory pass will be essential.
Candidates who have satisfied Examiners in Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Examination at an average of B Grade or above and holding a valid RPL certificate shall be eligible to be considered for admission into relevant degree programmes. The applicants must have valid RPL certificates obtained in RPL examination held in designated RPL Examination Centres approved by TCU. The RPL certificate must be valid for three years from the date of issue. The applicants must have been assessed through examinations organized along targeted degree programmes.
- Candidates who do not qualify under options I, II, III and IVI may register for OUT Foundation Courses (OFC) offered by The Open University of Tanzania. Those who pass examinations set at the end of the course will be eligible for registration for any of the degree programmes listed above, depending on the subject combination taken in the OFC.
- Candidates applying for BSc ICT who do not qualify under options I, II, and IV simply because they do not have passes in Mathematics may register for OFC009: Mathematics which is offered under OUT Foundation Courses (OFC). Candidates who pass the course (OFC009: Mathematics) will be eligible for admission into BSC ICT.
Candidates with awards from other Institutions of Higher Learning will be considered on their own merit. These include a degree or an advanced Diploma in a relevant field.