Kenya Medical Training College Meru Campus was established in1979 as a school of nursing and was mandated to train Kenya enrolled community health nursing (pre-service certificate) course. In 1987, another School of medical engineering was established to train technicians for maintenance of medical equipments. Initially the two schools operated independently but were drawing funds from the same ministry of health.
Following kmtc parliament act, the two schools were merged in 1993 with the aim to cut on the operational costs forming KMTC – Meru campus.
In 1999 the nursing department was upgraded to train basic KRCHN (diploma) and pre-service certificate course was phased- out. The department, also admits enrolled nurses (in-service certificate holders) to train and upgrade to diploma level.
In September 2006 department of clinical medicine was established to train pre-service students in clinical medicine and surgery (diploma). In September 2008 the college introduced medical laboratory sciences course for pre-service students (diploma).
P.O.BOX 1484-60200, Meru