What is eCitizen?
eCitizen is an online platform created to direct and digitize government services and payments. eCitizen
was started in 2014 in bid by president Uhuru Kenyatta to ensure that government services are easily accessible to the people. So much has been achieved through eCitizen and more is expected to be attained. As at 2017 more than 20 billion Kenyan shillings had been collected through eCitizen
Some of the online services you can find in eCitizen
- Through eCitizen online services you can apply for a temporary driving licence, renew driving license, book for driving test, get a new driving license, pay for all the fees related to stated services and follow your application
- Register and manage your business these includes business name registration, public & private company registration etc.
- New application of passports wil be online, application of visa and application of work permits.
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations services like application of Police Clearance Certificate can be accessed through eCitizen
- Services also includesd in eCitizen include those that that are done in Attorney General office like getting married or enter a civil partnership in Kenya, business Name search and Registration.
- Other services include Application of Birth & Death certificates.
- Other counties such as Mombasa county, Nyeri county, Kisumu county have integrated some of their services in eCitizen
How to register your business on eCitizen
In order to register your business your business on eCitizen you will need to login into your account and then click business registration.
A business name is different from a company in terms of legal perspective. A business name is just a name that you give your business but you as the owner will not be a separate entity. This means that the business will use your PIN, tax compliance and other documents. However after registering your business you will obtain a business certificate that you can use to open a bank account for your business.
After selecting business registration you need to do a name search to find out if the name you want is available or it’s taken. You will pay a total of Kshs 150 for the name search; this will include Kshs 100 for the search and Kshs 50 for the convenience fee. It may take 2-3 working days for your name to be approved or not.
Approval of your business name means that you can go ahead and register. To register you will need to state the location of the business and the address. n addition you will also need to state the major activity of your business. You will then down load the incomplete business certificate and sign. After signing, scan it and upload. Registration will be Kshs 850 including the convenience fee. There are several ways to pay for your fee but the most convenient is the through mobile payment. After payment you will need to finish the process where by your payment will be approved,
After completing the registration and payment you will need to wait for some few days to get your certificate of registration or business certificate which you.