Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University functions as a teaching, research, and public service institution, including extension. Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is a dynamic and progressive institution with a strong commitment to academic excellence. The serene, intimate campus is situated on “The Hill,” only a short distance from downtown Huntsville, the site of the school’s founding.
• Founded in 1875 by a former slave, William Hooper Councill and opened as the “Huntsville Normal School” in downtown Huntsville.
• Taught industrial education and became the “State Normal and Industrial School at Huntsville.”
• Designated an 1890 land-grant institution by the federal government in February 1891. The school’s name was changed to “The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes.”
• Became a junior college in 1919, named “The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes.”
• In 1946, received a “Class A” rating by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
• In 1948, named the “Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College.”
• In 1963, became a fully accredited member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
• In 1969, became “Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University.”
The AAMU campus is situated on more than 2,300 scenic acres, a 5-minute commute from downtown Huntsville. The campus has the unique distinction of being laid out by Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., designer of New York’s Central Park. AAMU has its own post office, Normal, Alabama.
• From 44 states and 11 foreign countries
• 4,940 undergraduates and 874 graduate students
• 42 percent first-time college students
• Middle 50th percentile on ACT: 17-18
• 93 student clubs and organizations
• 75 percent student participation in community service projects
• 20:1 student-faculty ratio
• Fewer than 40 students in 86 percent of courses
• 348 faculty members across all undergraduate, graduate and professional programs
• Five undergraduate schools (Agricultural & Environmental, Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, and Engineering & Technology) and Graduate
• 41 Baccalaureate, 23 Master’s, 1 EdS and 4 doctoral degrees offered
• Degrees conferred: BA, BGS, BS, BSCE, BSEE, BSET, BSME, EdS, MBA, MEd, MEng, MS, MSW,
About Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
“Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University reflects the uniqueness of the traditional land-grant institution combining teaching, research, service, liberal arts, and vocational fields. The University offers baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral level degrees that are compatible with the times to all qualified and capable individuals who are interested in further developing their technical, scientific, professional, and scholastic skills and competencies. The University operates in the three-fold function of teaching, research, extension and other public service. Alabama A&M University, a center of excellence, provides an educational environment for the emergence of scholars, scientists, leaders, critical thinkers, and other contributors to a global society.”
Commitment to Our Mission
While much has changed on “The Hill”, AAMU still maintains its commitment to its Mission:
• Excellence in education and a scholarly environment in which inquiring and discriminating minds may be nourished.
• The education of students for effective participation in local, state, regional, national, and international societies.
• The search for new knowledge through research and its applications.
• The provision of a comprehensive outreach program designed to meet the changing needs of the larger community.
• Programs necessary to adequately address the major needs and problems of capable students who have experienced limited access to education.
• Integration of state-of-the-art technology into all aspects of University functions.
Alabama A&M University, in cooperation with businesses, industrial and governmental agencies, and other institutions, provides a laboratory where theory is put into practice in a productive environment.
Phone: (256) 372-5000
P. O. Box 908 (Undergrad)
or P. O. Box 998 (Graduate)
Normal, Alabama 35762
4900 Meridian Street North
Normal, Alabama 35762